At least 85 dead in Norway youth camp attack


Premier says ‘my youth paradise’ has turned into ‘hell’; police say suspect’s website indicates he was a right-wing, Christian fundamentalist

OSLO, Norway — A suspected right-wing Christian gunman in police uniform killed at least 85 people in a ferocious attack on a youth summer camp of Norway’s ruling Labour party, hours after a car bomb killed seven in Oslo.

 

Police said the suspect immediately surrendered when told to do so and has confessed, Reuters reported.

Witnesses said the gunman, identified by police as a 32-year-old Norwegian, moved across the small, wooded Utoya holiday island on Friday firing at random as young people scattered in fear.

Police detained the tall, blond suspect, named by local media as Anders Behring Breivik, and charged him for the island killing spree and the Oslo bomb blast.

Norwegian police would neither confirm nor deny if the killer acted alone, but were looking into reports of a second suspect.

Norway’s national news agency, NTB, reported Saturday that witnesses told police two people were involved in the shooting on the island, which lasted for about 90 minutes.

At the time of the massacre, hundreds of children were on the island, aged from 11 or 12 to 18 or 19.

National police Chief Oystein Maeland said the attack had reached “catastrophic dimensions.”

Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg, capturing the shock the attacks have caused in this normally quiet nation of 4.8 million, said he had been to the island every summer since 1979, saying “my youth paradise, and now it’s been changed to hell,” according to a simultaneous translation provided by Sky News.

Deputy Police Chief Roger Andresen would not speculate on the man’s motives but told a news conference: “He describes himself as a Christian, leaning toward right-wing Christianity, on his Facebook page.”

Story: Suspect in deadly Norway attacks charge

“As of now we have 84 dead at Utoeya,” Andresen said. “In Oslo, with the explosion and the impact it had, we are not yet sure if that number is final. At Utoeya, the water is still being searched for more victims.”

On Saturday, Stoltenberg, Norway’s King Harald, Queen Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon arrived at a hotel where survivors and family members are staying to attempt to comfort them.

After meeting survivors, Stoltenberg said Norwegian officials were working with foreign intelligence agencies to see if there there was any international involvement in attacks.

Read the entire story here: MSNBC

Follow our updates on Twitter and Facebook

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s